Have questions? Start here and see if we can help quickly. Just click on a "Q" to reveal the "A."
+ Which class should I start with?
- New to photography? We designed Digital Cameras I just for you. Learn how to get the most out of your camera and shoot in manual mode, with hands-on guidance from our friendly team.
- Familiar with manual settings? Check out our fun and challenging one-day workshops like Food Photography, Night Photography, or Portraiture to build your expertise.
- Looking to improve your photo-editing skills? Join us for our Photoshop or Lightroom classes, and unlock the magic within your pictures.
+ How do I know if my camera is suitable for the class?
- If your camera is a dSLR, mirrorless, or compact camera that allows you to use manual (M) settings, then you’re all set for any of our classes. If you are still unsure, please email us and we’ll help you figure it out.
+ Where are classes held?
- The majority of our classes take place at our home studio at 15 Channel Center Street in the Fort Port District of downtown Boston. Check out our map and driving/parking/MBTA directions.
- Occasionally, we hold classes at an annex studio in places like Union Square or East Somerville. This location is always specified when you select a class date.
- Our Better Composition: Photo Walk and Night Photography classes take place in different locations around Boston, including the Back Bay, Zakim Bridge, and Beacon Hill. Be sure to note the specific location before signing up for a class.
+ What is the cancellation and transfer policy?
- Our cancellation and withdrawal policy for regular classes is as follows: Withdraw more than three days before the start of class and we will refund 100% of your tuition. Withdrawal less than three days before class and receive 50% refund. Withdraw on the day of your class or don’t attend and we are unable to provide a refund.
- Special events and travel workshops have a slightly different cancellation policy, due to the advanced planning of the trip.
- We are always willing to transfer you into another class if you become unavailable for the class date you initially enrolled in. Please let us know 24 hours in advance of your initial class date.
+ I’m taking a class with a friend; can we share the same camera?
- In a hands-on learning situation, having your own camera is best. To accommodate anyone without a camera, we have rental dSLRs available for the duration of class for $25. This includes a lens and memory card (after class, we will send you your images online). Just let us know before your class day if you’ll need to rent a camera, and we’ll have one ready for you.
+ What can gift certificates be used for, and how can I redeem them?
- Gift certificates can be given to anyone, and are good for all BPW classes or private lessons. You can purchase a gift certificate or redeem one here.
+ I do not own any camera equipment (tripod, camera, etc); can I rent from the BPW?
- We are always willing to accommodate our students. We provide cameras and tripods, for in-class use for a minimum rental fee:
- Camera ($25); Tripod ($10)
- Once you've enrolled in a class, please email us your equipment request and your class date. Rentals can be paid for at the end of class via debit/credit card, PayPal, or cash.
+ How old do I have to be to attend a class?
- The BPW loves to work with all ages. For students 12 and under, a parent must attend class and stay for the duration. They can observe in our studio but will not be part of the class. Parents who wish to participate can enroll at half cost. For students 13 and above, a parent may drop off the student but must check-in with the instructor before class. Parents wishing to participate in class can enroll at full cost.
+ I want a private class for myself/my spouse and myself/my company/etc. How do I request a (group or individual) private lesson?
- Private lessons start at $125/hr with a two hour minimum (for the first lesson). For groups, there is a $50 flat fee added for each additional student that wishes to join.
- If you’re interested in a private lesson please visit our Private Lesson page and let us know how we can help.