Astrophotography Workshop FAQs
Have questions? Start here and see if we can help quickly. Just click on a topic to reveal the questions.
+ Photo Gear Questions
- How do I know if my camera is suitable for astrophotography? If your camera is a dSLR, mirrorless, or compact camera that allows you to use manual (M) settings, you should be good to go. A wide angle lens (~18mm) that can open up to an aperture of f/3.5 or wider (f/2.8, ~ f/2) is ideal.
- What other equipment should I bring? A solid, sturdy tripod and a remote trigger are great tools to have when dealing with long exposures. We will send you a helpful guide with more information and equipment suggestions after you register for the workshop.
- Can I rent camera gear from the BPW for this weekend workshop? We are always willing to accommodate our students. We can provide cameras and tripods for a small rental fee. Once you've enrolled in a class, please email us your equipment request. Rentals can be paid for via debit/credit card, PayPal, or cash.
+ Prerequisite and Preliminary Class Questions
- I haven't taken all of the prerequisite classes. Should I still register for astrophotography? We are offering extra Digital Cameras II and Night Photography classes in February and early March. If you've already taken a higher level class, you should be ready for the workshop!
- I can't attend either the March 8 or March 13 Preliminary astrophotography class. What should I do? You will have to schedule a private lesson with one of the instructors. There will be an additional fee of $125. If you have already registered for the workshop, please send us an email so we can schedule a new date & time.
+ Travel Questions
- I can't join on Friday night, but I could arrive early Saturday morning. Should I still sign up? We understand that getting away for the entire weekend might be hard for some, but we'd prefer if everyone could be present from Friday evening until Sunday morning. Since Friday and Saturday nights are the only times we have to photograph the night sky, it is important to be present for both nights. If you are OK missing out on a photo session, please send us an email and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- I don't have a car. Is anyone carpooling? The BPW is unable to provide transportation to the event but will attempt to connect those drivers with extra room with passengers via email if possible.
- How close is the lighthouse (main photographing location) to the hotel? The lighthouse is a short 0.3 mile, 6 minute walk from the Bradley Inn. If you have trouble walking, difficulty seeing at night, or would just prefer to drive, you can drive down the short road and park at the lighthouse.
+ Hotel Questions
- How much will my room cost? The Bradley Inn is opening its doors early for this event and will be offering a special rate just for BPW students. Standard rooms will be offered at $175/night.
- How do I book a room with the Bradley Inn? The Bradley Inn is opening its doors early just for the BPW! Because this is a special event, the Bradley Inn will contact registered students for room preference once you have registered for the trip. The Inn's website will not function for reservations during this event.
- Are there microwaves/refrigerators in the rooms if I bring my own food? Unfortunately, there are no kitchen amenities in the rooms, as The Bradley Inn offers a full dining experience in their three dining rooms downstairs.
- A friend and I are taking the workshop together. Can we share one room? The Bradley Inn mainly offers rooms with one Queen-sized bed. However, there are two rooms and one suite that have different configurations. Please refer to their Room Comparison Chart for more details.
+ Cancellation Policy
- What is the cancellation policy for this weekend workshop? Special events and travel workshops have a slightly different cancellation policy, due to the advanced planning of the trip. A non-refundable deposit of $200 is required upon registering for the astrophotography weekend. Full tuition is due by March 1st, 2018 @ 10:00p EST.
The BPW will allow for cancellations before March 1st, 2018 @ 10:00p EST within 14 days of the event with a 50% reimbursement of tuition, minus the non-refundable deposit.